I Think, Therefore I Am

Friday, December 10, 2010

My First Rawa Dosa


My parents have gone to South Africa for a month long vacation. A maid usually cooks food for me. However a few days ago, I had specifically asked her not to cook dinner. I had plans to go out with friends; the plans tanked & I was left with no food at home.

Inspired by watching MasterChef Australia, I decided to give a shot at cooking. Since I didn't have many ingredients to begin with, a friend of mine suggested that I make Rawa Dosa. So off I went to youtube and found this video that explains the process quite elaborately.

Trust me, it felt as if Rava Dosa was one of the easiest dishes to cook. Just mix the right ingredients in the right quantities, sprinkle the batter over a hot tava, pour some oil and you are done.

Twenty mins later, I found myself dumping something that felt like a mutated offspring of a cross between a Rawa Sheera and Sada Dosa into the dustbin. In short, my first Rawa Dosa was inedible.

The second one though, turned out quite all right. It tasted quite good too. I guess I just had to sprinkle the batter in the right manner for it to look edible.

So around half an hour after I first set out to make the dosa, I had the first edible dosa ready. Ironically, in less than one minute after that, the entire dosa lay in my stomach. I had a little batter left for another dosa, which too turned out quite fine. Not having enough patience to make the batter all over again, I called it a day in the kitchen.

All in all, it was a good experiment. The dosa was good, my hunger was appeased (for only a while, ofc ;) ), and I learnt how to make a new dish and most importantly, I had fun!

Until the next experiment. Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home