I Think, Therefore I Am

Monday, December 05, 2005

Too or Two?!?

In the Advanced Microprocessor paper on 3rd, I had finished the paper, 2 minutes were left. I went back to the beginning to check if i could improve on any answer...

In the first answer, this is what i wanted to write: "The USB cable supports xx too". This is what i had actually written: "The USB cable supports xx two". How? Why? I dont know! In fact, this is not the first time i have made this mistake.

Has anyone of you reading this blog ever made such a mistake? Do such mistakes fall under a particular category? Inputs welcome.

4 Comments:

  • I've actually done it too, so you're not going mad. Then again, it's me, so maybe you are. I suppose this sort of thing happens when your mind becomes too much like a native speaker's - you begin to transcribe the word based on how you *hear* it than how you see it.

    We learn most of our English by reading, and native speakers learn it by hearing. That's also why they make stupid mistakes like your/you're, there/their, of/have - and we don't. So they have no trouble speaking the language, but some trouble writing it, while non-native speakers usually have the opposite problem.

    Incidentally, I just posted something very similar on TC forums. The whole thing got started off by an innocuous comment of mine, and it just snowballed from there...

    By Blogger Nadeem Mohsin, at 11:14 pm  

  • ah cmon ..... write something first ..comments later

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 am  

  • I didn't read the full paper yet, but in Belgium they did some research in population of people who use sign language to communicate (people with hearing problems) and things like that (slip of the hand) even exist there. I will let you know when interesting explanations came out....
    Bhabhi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:00 pm  

  • I don't know which category these mistakes fall into nor do I know whether the mistake I make is similar to yours.
    Whenever I have to write the word 'holding' I always write 'tolding' and 'me' with 'be'.

    By Blogger Jet, at 2:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home